It’s baking season! And while I am the furthest thing from being a baker, I could spend forever dreaming up ways to package cookies.
Like this idea of wrapping cookies in a roll. Typically, it’s a traditional way to package shortbread, but it will work well for any sliced or flat, round cookies. How many you should include in a roll will depend on the size of cookie; you’ll want to experiment to find the optimum number.
MATERIALS + TOOLS
+ Wax or parchment paper + Wrapping paper + Ribbon + Stick-on label + Scissors + Circle punch (I used 1 1/4” round) + Clear tape + Double-sided tape + Marker
1. Cut a piece of wax paper; the size will depend on the size of your cookies and how many you’d like to include in one roll. (Refer to the image above as a guide to how much paper to use in relation to the size of your cookies.) Line up a stack of cookies and place it on its side diagonally atop the waxed paper.
2. Holding the cookies in place, fold the bottom corner of the waxed paper up and over the stack, tucking it underneath as you roll the paper around the cookies. Tape the top corner in place.
Now I should mention that this step sounds a lot easier than it is: First, it took me several attempts to roll the cookies without having them slide everywhere. You have to wrap the waxed paper snug enough to hold the cookies in place, but not so tight as to push them into a slant. The second difficulty was getting the tape to stick to the waxed paper; I tried a few different clear tapes until I found one that held enough to get me through the next few steps.
3. Cut off the excess waxed paper from either end of the roll, then fold in the ends and tape in place.
4. Cut a piece of wrapping paper: It should be as wide as the roll of cookies, plus the height of the roll; and long enough to wrap around the roll with two or three inches of overlap. Fold over the short edge of the paper to get a straight line, attach a piece of double-sided tape, and then wrap the paper around the cookie roll.
5. Using a circle punch, cut two circles of wrapping paper and apply double-sided tape to the back of each. Fold in the wrapping paper ends of the roll, then attach a circle to each end.
You now have your basic wrapped roll of cookies, which you can decorate as you wish.
6. To get the look shown here, fold a length of ribbon in half, wrap it around the roll, and thread the ends through the loop. Fold back the ends and attach a label to hold the ribbon in place.