Whether you plan on collecting eggs or simply want a festive centerpiece for the table, this elegant basket makes a cheerful addition to Easter celebrations. A plain woven basket dressed up with bows and pussy willows, this simple DIY project uses few materials and takes less than 20 minutes to make. It’s a lovely way to bring spring indoors.
MATERIALS + TOOLS
+ 1 basket with a handle
+ 18 pussy willow branches
+ Floral wire
+ Hot glue
1. Create four bundles of pussy willows: two bunches of six branches each, and two of three branches. Use stems with more catkins for six-branch bundles; the stems in the three-branch bundles should have only a few catkins at the tips. Tie the stems together with floral wire, wrapping securely at the base of the catkins.
2. Using floral wire, attach one six-branch bundle diagonally across the side of the basket, with the buds reaching above the rim. First, wind the wire around the bundle, then thread the ends through the basket weave, tying off the wire on the inside of the basket. Trim the ends of the branches so they do not extend past the base of the basket. Repeat on the other side with the second six-stem bundle.
3. Using floral wire, attach the two short bunches atop the handle, cut ends toward the centre, with the tips reaching away from each other.
4. Make three bows from ribbon (I used 1½”-wide grosgrain). Thread floral wire through the back of two bows and attach one atop each of the pussy-willow bundles on the sides of the basket by threading the wire through the basket weave.
5. Hot glue a strip of ribbon around the top of the handle to hide the branch ends and floral wire. Hot glue the third bow atop this.
6. Fill the basket with wood-fibre grass or shred, and Easter eggs.